Friday, May 03, 2013

Carey Price After Game 1

I must confess, I went back and forth on Price in the dome last night. If I was choosing again, I'd have all the stats I went through this morning to sway me further.



I think I asked him not to let in the first scoring chance. But letting in the 2nd, 5th and 7th wasn't really what I had in mind. His team is playing like they don't trust him anymore (see Gorges stick on what should be harmless Silfverberg shot), and it's causing a big obstacle every time the task on the table is defend.

There is no doubt his team needs to be better. But what is better than dominance in shots and scoring chances through 2 periods (only 4 dangerous shots against to that intermission). The team only allowed 11 dangerous shots in all, and that includes the Latendresse body shot and the two goals from outside the usual demarcation of danger area. There's only so many times you can ask a well-functioning machine to re-optimize. Sooner or later, surely, we are due a timely save. Whether by accident or design. Goodness knows that's killing us at the other end of the ice...

I direct you to Cowhide and Rubber for a piece by someone who is clearly no Price apologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment