Saturday, May 22, 2010

Overseas Habs Fans Not Complaining

Those times I have been in Europe for Habs games have been interesting. Watching a playoff game on an internet stream on your own is bad enough. To have to do it from 1 am to 4 am is downright antisocial.

There's been a lot of griping about the afternoon game. A lot of the whining insinuates that this gives the players on one side an advantage and the players on the other a disadvantage. In separate pieces I have read about how the Canadiens might suffer from less time to recover and how the Canadiens will exploit Philly's fatigue.

Here's what I think. The afternoon game is no different for either team. I think champions will be champions regardless of a few hours difference in puck drop. In the World Cup, teams play at all different times. The Champions' League final is often won by teams tha play their domestic Cup final at 3 pm. Even hockey players get massive variety with games on either coast. The game will be the game.

I also think of the fans who are over in Europe. The Habs fans especially. I think of The Soft European , a blogger whose work i very much enjoy. I think of the significant following this blog has in the UK. I think of our Finnish readers who've made up hours on this site like a medium-sized Canadian city. I think fondly of The Famous Three Kings in West Kensington where I expect many a Habs fan I know will be taking in the affair with a pint for once.

All these fans, a true and hard core group, will probably relish a chance to watch with spouses, children or friends like I did. I hope they get a good show.

Go Habs Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment